Sunday, January 20, 2008

Item 9: Instant Messaging - Meebo

Nice! I've always liked talking to people live. I am somewhat familiar with instant messaging since I am constantly on Yahoo!Messenger. Here would be my opinion on the following questions:

What if my library had a MeeboMe widget on their library home page for asking reference questions?
I think that would be a great idea to have in the library's website. with the growing number of students and curious people doing research through the internet, it would encourage people asking more questions since they will know that they are talking to someone that will respond to them right that instant.
What would be the pros and cons?
Pros: easily accessible to patrons that need our help, fast communication.
Cons: might get technical difficulties, overloads, not enough staff available.

What other ways could IM be used in the library?
it could be also be used for communication within library staff, or youth programs.

No comments: